Friday 9 September 2011

Cymbals Eat Guitars Eat Aliens' Lenses


I have a love/hate relationship with Staten Island's Cymbals Eat Guitars. Well, not love/hate, maybe love/dislike. You see, back in 2009 my mate Dan gave me a whole bunch of new albums, including Cymbals...'s Why There Are MountainsLP. I thought that album was pretty killer - and Im still a big fan. When I heard they were hitting London back in 09, down at the Brixton Windmill, Paul and I winged our way down there. They were...disappointing. Maybe they were still getting their live shtick together - maybe the crowd or venue was flat - I don't know. Ill I can safely say is that I got shitfaced watching the Tour de France...

Still, the new album is upon us. Lenses Alien. And I don't hate it - always a good thing - but it is a bit more of the same. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more "infectious" you know - something that would latch on and refuse to let go. It's still a great album - they have cut some of the fat on this release, streamlining it if you will - and I have only listened to it a couple of times. Im much more likely to see how this grows than, say, The King Of Limbs (and I am a massive Radiohead fan - but come on! Letdown of the century - apart from a couple tracks, its incredibly shit and throwaway).

NB - I look forward to some TKOL support in the comments - even if it isn't warranted.

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Rifle Eyesight
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Another Tunguska

No comments:

Post a Comment