Thursday 18 September 2014

Listening To The Heart Of The Sky Mirrored


I'm pretty sure this record came out ages ago - I THINK it scraped into 2014, but it could have been put out last year - but I only stumbled across Listening Mirror's ambient drone work The Heart Of The Sky last night and was immediately cocooned by these percolating suites of nebulous sound. It's surprising I haven't stumbled across Jeff Stonehouse's work before, seeing that one of my closet obsessions is abandoned architecture, in particular the sound mirrors of Denge in England. And just like those hulking structures, this album pervades the senses, their now lost cause for being superseding the imposing figure they cut, the uneasy impulses that permeates the soul when encountering it - this is not of this world. Particularly the opening track 'Midnight At Teques, Storm Approaching' - I played this song four times before I let the album play out. The field recordings that bleed into the sonorous melange of languid sounds are impressive and help with the teleportation into other worlds, but the tonal shifts that occur here do often denote that idea of an archaic computer bleeping in a funereal, empty warehouse, monitoring a world and a war that no longer, and maybe never did exist. Abandoned, out-of-date, doing nothing - yet its very existence holds a great deal of power due to its alienness, and its propensity to expand and come to life. The Heart Of The Sky does that to me - the fear of the unknown exists, yet is overridden by extreme titillation as I step into the abyss. Get The Heart of the Sky here.

No comments:

Post a Comment